Visitor Counter

hitwebcounter web counter
Visitors Since Blog Created in March 2010

Click Below to:

Add Blog to Favorites

Coyotes-Wolves-Cougars.blogspot.com

Grizzly bears, black bears, wolves, coyotes, cougars/ mountain lions,bobcats, wolverines, lynx, foxes, fishers and martens are the suite of carnivores that originally inhabited North America after the Pleistocene extinctions. This site invites research, commentary, point/counterpoint on that suite of native animals (predator and prey) that inhabited The Americas circa 1500-at the initial point of European exploration and subsequent colonization. Landscape ecology, journal accounts of explorers and frontiersmen, genetic evaluations of museum animals, peer reviewed 20th and 21st century research on various aspects of our "Wild America" as well as subjective commentary from expert and layman alike. All of the above being revealed and discussed with the underlying goal of one day seeing our Continent rewilded.....Where big enough swaths of open space exist with connective corridors to other large forest, meadow, mountain, valley, prairie, desert and chaparral wildlands.....Thereby enabling all of our historic fauna, including man, to live in a sustainable and healthy environment. - Blogger Rick

Subscribe via email to get updates

Enter your email address:

Receive New Posting Alerts

(A Maximum of One Alert Per Day)

Monday, October 24, 2011

A viable Cougar sighting in Upstate NY(Glen Falls Adirondack region).......Remains of killed Goats up in a tree--classic Cougar kill behavior; will the trail camera footage verify or deny this sighting?

Mountain lion sighting updated in Upstate NY


I've heard from a lot of people over the years who swear they have seen mountain lions in our region, from Eagle Bridge to the Adirondacks.Some of the reports are credible, some aren't.

The state Department of Environmental Conservation's confirmation earlier this year that a mountain lion, aka panther or cougar, passed through the Lake George area last winter shows that cats from wild panther populations from the west and north sometimes roam through our region.

So when a person I know contacted me Friday to pass on a tip about a possible mountain lion kill of livestock in our region recently, I figured there could be something to it.The tipster, who has proved very reliable in the past, said that a well-respected local business owner (I'm not going to say where yet, but it's within a half-hour drive of Glens Falls) had a sheep disappear from his pasture recently.

A bloodtrail was evident, and the owners followed it only to find the sheep's remains up in a tree.
That's classic big cat behavior, putting the meat where other predators can't reach it.
The story I was told was that they set up trail cameras in the area, which quicky confirmed their suspicions -- a mountain lion was to blame. They have not contacted the DEC, I was told.

The tipster passed on the name of the victims, and I reached out to them Friday. A person who answered the phone at their business paused when I explained what I was calling about and said, "You've got to talk to my father about that." I haven't heard back yet, but this one seems pretty credible. I'll let you know what I find out.

UPDATE -- I spoke today (Monday) with the partriarch of the family at the center of the sightings, who confirmed much of the story for me.Two goats have disappeared, not a sheep. He said the trail camera pictures clearly show a mountain lion, and I'm waiting to get copies of them with the understanding I not say where they are.

"My son saw it yesterday when he was hunting," he said. "It's around. Might even be more than one. We don't want it around here anymore."I'll keep you posted.
-- Don Lehman



No comments: